Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cleaning beer bottles is not as fun as emptying them.

Today i bottled my beer, hooray!! 3 weeks and counting.

I wish i had a funny family anecdote for you, but i just don't. Everyone's being normal, it's weird.

So onward with the beer. First you have to transfer it from it's primary fermenter to a bottling fermenter in order to mix the dextrose (corn sugar) that induces carbonation (very interesting, i know). Anyway before you do anything you have to sterilize all things that will touch the beer, or it'll spoil. I sterilize my stuff in the bathtub with a little bleach. Unfortunately mid-sterilization my mom decided to take a doody in the bathroom, and since poop beer's not on my menu, i had to re-clean/sterilize everything.


Normally here you'd just add the dextrose, stir, and bottle, but life's not that simple if you're a pappas. My auto-siphon got broke in the great trans-america movement, and i had to re-sterilize the primary fermenter because it has a spigot. To do this i poured the beer back in, which you are not at all supposed to do. You literally don't want any extra air getting into this stuff, and what can i say, i was careful. Hopefully everything will turn out ok.

Time to bottle! I cleaned all the bottles last week, which was a bitch, so i just had to put them on dry cycle in the dishwater to sterilize them. I boiled the caps in hot water.



Filling time! i ended up with 41 bottles of beer on the counter.


Cap those shits:


And put them in a dark corner for 9 days, then move them to a slightly lower temp for two weeks, and there you have it. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure she didn't just put a baby ruth in the toilet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! sooo gross. She'd better do a triple lindey in there to fish it out.

    ReplyDelete