Thursday, August 30, 2018

Not a Volcano Cake





I'm in California visiting DPL and I was like, "I"m gonna cook a ton!" and then I cooked, like, once. Well, and a half, but I kind of want to forget the half part. So today Princess is coming over and yesterday when i was being overly ambitious I was like:



Then I woke up today and was like, "I don't want to do that shit."

*Side note: did  you know you can't take screen shots of netflix? It's just a black picture where the video is but still shows the controls. I literally had to take a picture of my ipad with my phone which is definitely probably illegal.

Anyway, I was like, "Well we have to do something." So I searched the kitchen and found this:


And was like, "Sweet! I'll make a bunch of different color cupcakes and ice them with different color frosting. Perf! The dye colors are green, yellow, blue, red, and purple:



Clearly you can see two things from this picture. I had peanut butter toast for breakfast and that is not fucking purple. What a disappointment! But also I made way more of the right blue (Cerulean?) then any of the other colors so I was like, "I'll try to make purple with the leftover!" Also this reminds me of the scene in Hook where Peter Pan gets full off make believe food because he uses his imagination. Totally legitimate food source, you are the Pan.


I mixed some red into the blue and was like, "Actually this is kind of pretty, I wonder if this will work in the cupcakes!" Spoiler Alert: It doesn't.


I spilled a little of the Cyan? into the Yellow mini cupcake when I attempted my 'Swirl Maneuver.' And I was like, "Should I try to scoop it out?" And, lets be honest, I would probably just make more of a mess. So anyway:

Tada! Turns out the cupcakes really where purple. Who knew? The red, yellow, and Celeste? are the best ones (personal preference, of course). I think if I were even to do this again I would just use those, but I wouldn't ever do this again, so really the point is moot. While they were cooking I remembered that DPL had three bananas that were browning:


And asked me to make something with them, and I was like, "Shit." So I came up with the brilliant idea of filling the cupcakes. So I looked up a banana filling but it sounded dumb, also apparently most people use plain filling to fill banana cake mix, because they have foresight which I don't. So Then I made a regular filling with cream cheese, butter, a shit-ton of powdered sugar, and milk. Then I added two bananas and regretted it. So i tried to thicken it with some flour and that failed, so i read up on fillings with bananas and heard a little something about gelatin, which I'll pick up with Princess when she finally decides to wake up and get her ass over here. Anyway this looks like someone vomited up porridge:


But everything is gonna be okay. Except when I try to remove the cupcakes from their shells. 



I guess you should never try to force anything out of it's shell, but, like, really?! It even says don't spray them!


I mean it's probably because I slightly overcooked them, but still! I'm done with you Vibrant Collection. 

But also now what the fuck am I gonna do, cause I can't fill them! And then it erupts with in me, like an eruption, it comes to me. I'll make a Volcano! 

So then princess arrived:



and so did Mongo. Mongo is Harvey's son (like, for serious) so he probably was just upset his mother was unrepresented. Understandable. 

And then we went shopping. I was like, "How are we going to make the frosting brown? " But then thankfully we needed Gelatin which made us go down the baking aisle and we discovered the existence of pre-made CHOCOLATE frosting. Duh. So then we just bought that and a ton of other stuff we no longer had to make, and went with it: 



Then we did our Mexican beer tasting:


Princess here! let's take a break from well thought out rational discussion and go on a rambling journey about beer. i'm gonna be talking about this taste test for a minute while my bff collects her thoughts and starts her outline. so the first struggle with this test we had was how to make it blind? but luckily my friend here had a genius plan: tinfoil! so we started wrapping them, and i had a technique down and told her to quit trying cuz i'm gonna make it perfect. and i did (accurate), except for the fact that they kept trying to unwrap themselves from their cozy little blankies and there was no tape to be found(In, like, the entire fucking house. We did find some really cool markers though.  DPL for Christmas I'm going to buy you an office supply organizer... or better yet: some tape!). but we persevered, and wrote numbers on the aluminum foil and the tops so we could keep going back to test. luckily the tin foil really wanted us to succeed today so we encountered no issues and got to tasting.

The first ones we tasted were all pretty mellow and lightish, imo good for daytime drinking, and then towards the end they got heavier. and all were pretty mediocre really. so we wrote down our thoughts on cute pieces of paper that my buddy here personalized with fantastic custom art <3 there were a couple that i straight up hated, and one that i loved, and a few that were pretty decent if you're into day drinking, which i'm not but sometimes a girl gotta do it ya know.

so for me the winning beer, #6, was the closest to the type of beer i normally drink, which is ipa ofc, how unoriginal :/ but this beer was heavy with a clean finish and no aftertaste, which is easy because i'm super picky about aftertaste. the second beer, #4, i chose because it was bland and had very little aftertaste which is good for daydrinking, which as i said a girl just gotta do sometimes. it reminded me of champagne a bit (disagree). the third and fourth beers tied, #1 & #3, they tasted soooo similar but one was a touch creamier than the other but to my taste had a slight metal aftertaste, like can  (#3). the rest of them i wasn't a huge fan of so i just ranked them until i was left with the worst tasting at the bottom.

and that's the story of my taste test. i think my girl is ready to go on.


So that was very thought out and nuanced. My thoughts were more like, "Is this Tecate? Maybe." It wasn't. So I'm pretty with Princess on the fact that this is good day drinking beer, but not really a beer I would sit down to enjoy. Anyway we differed on most of our thoughts but agreed that Modelo Negro was definitely the best (#6) Princess had #4 second which i had last so agree to disagree. That one is called Moatejo which I'd never heard of before and never care to again. For my 2nd/3rd and Princesses 3rd/4th we both had #1/3 which is Pacifico and Modelo (aka model especial) which I agree with and am not convinced they're not the same beer. I actually couldn't tell you what beer I was drinking when I was drinking it, but i've always said Modelo and Pacifico were the best Mexican beers (*cough Scotty *cough). Anyway I had Corona, Estrella Jalisco, Tecate, and Moatejo as my order for the rest. Princess had Tecate, Estrella, and Corona for hers. Princess actually tasted the Corona and was like, "Eww, this tastes like Corona." Which was accurate. Clearly she just doesn't like Corona.  

So while princess was writing this I was constructing the Volcano, but first I was fighting with banana filling. But apparently gelatin does not a Banana Icing make, so I just randomly dolloped some into the volcano and held it together with a can of cheese whiz (aka Betty Crocker orange icing)


Just ignore the banana splooging out. So at this point princess takes over:



Pipe that shit! 


So good! Magma time: Wait, but first Cocoa Krispie texture:


Now Magma:


Smeared:


Pre-made tubed icing is the best. Here's Princess with the water:



here i am sprinkling like a champ. the water was fun to make, i just squirted it all over the cookie sheet and then smoothed it out with a knife, and sprinkled sugary sparkles all over the edges to make it look like beautiful waves crashing from afarrrr. ahhh i can feel the salty spray from here.

we also made some trees out of twix and apple gummies. we used toothpicks to make them extra secure but gosh they were unwieldy. falling over constantly and getting icing all over them, it was a mess. like seriously chocolate frosting is all over everything, my hands and my face and my shirt and the counters and my bff, you get the point. 

So here's some more magma:


And a perfectly finished Volcano!!





Clearly amazing from all angles. Anyway Scotty brought home some dried ice so here are some totally awesome eruption shots:






 The End.



No comments:

Post a Comment